Press "Enter" to skip to content

No US Troops To Be Punished Over Deadly Kabul Drone Strike: Pentagon

<!–

–>

A drone strike in Kabul in August killed 10 Afghan civilians, together with seven youngsters. (File)

Washington:

The Pentagon mentioned Monday that no US troops or officers would face disciplinary motion for a drone strike in Kabul in August that killed 10 Afghan civilians, together with seven youngsters.

Spokesman John Kirby mentioned Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin had acquired a high-level evaluate of the strike that made no advice of accountability.

“He approved their recommendations,” Kirby mentioned. “The secretary is not… calling for additional accountability measures.”

“There was not a strong enough case to be made for personal accountability,” Kirby added.

The August 29 drone strike befell within the remaining days of the US-led evacuation of Kabul after the Taliban seized management of the nation.

US officers mentioned that they had intelligence of a potential Islamic State assault on the evacuation operations at Kabul airport, and launched a missile from a drone at a goal that was regarded as a automotive laden with munitions.

In truth, they struck a household that included an Afghan man who labored for a US support group and 7 youngsters.

In early November, an preliminary report carried out by the US Air Force inspector common, Lieutenant General Sami Said, referred to as the strike tragic however “an honest mistake.”

The evaluate by Central Command head General Kenneth McKenzie Jr. and Special Operations Command chief General Richard Clarke made use of Said’s report and detailed suggestions on procedures for future drone strikes.

But it made no name for anybody to be punished for the error.

“What we saw here was a breakdown in process, in execution and procedural events, not the result of negligence, not the result of misconduct, not the result of poor leadership,” mentioned Kirby.

If Austin “believed… that accountability was warranted, he would certainly support those kinds of efforts,” Kirby added.

Compensation funds

The strike killed Zemari Ahmadi, an worker of US-based Nutrition and Education International, and 9 members of his household.

Last month, NEI founder and president Steve Kwon referred to as the Pentagon’s investigation into the incident “deeply disappointing and inadequate.”

The Pentagon promised to pay compensation and likewise to assist relocate overseas members of the family and Afghans working for NEI, however that is still caught on figuring out simply who’s certified, in keeping with officers.

Kirby mentioned they’re nonetheless discussing preparations with Kwon.

“We are working very hard with him and his organization to effect the relocation of the family members,” Kirby mentioned.

“We want to make sure we do it in the most safe and responsible way, so that we know it’s getting to the right people and only to the right people.”

Kirby, in the meantime, refused to touch upon a New York Times story Monday that detailed a secret US navy unit that launched drone strikes on Islamic state targets in Syria and had a callous perspective towards civilian deaths.

“We take issues of civilian harm very seriously,” Kirby mentioned.

“When we say we take it seriously, we mean it. It doesn’t mean we’re perfect. It doesn’t mean we always get it right,” he mentioned.

“And when we don’t get it right, we want those mistakes investigated.”

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV employees and is revealed from a syndicated feed.)

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    %d bloggers like this: