Japan has requested airways to cease taking new incoming flight bookings over considerations in regards to the Omicron virus variant, the transport ministry stated Wednesday.
The announcement got here as authorities introduced that they had detected a second an infection with the brand new pressure in an arriving traveler, a day after confirming a primary case.
“We have asked airlines to halt accepting all new incoming flight reservations for one month starting December 1,” a transport ministry official advised AFP, including that present bookings wouldn’t be affected.
Japan’s authorities has already tightened its powerful border measures, banning entry of all non-citizens coming from 10 southern African nations.
Quarantine measures have additionally been toughened for residents and international residents coming from a number of dozen extra international locations and territories over virus fears.
Japanese officers stated a second case of Omicron was confirmed on Wednesday in a traveler arriving from Peru who entered the nation final month.
The first case, introduced Tuesday, concerned a person arriving from Namibia.
Japan’s borders have been nearly sealed all through a lot of the pandemic, with even residents barred from entry for a part of 2020.
The border measures have been a key a part of the nation’s Covid response, which has not concerned the powerful lockdowns seen in some components of the world.
After a summer season surge in circumstances, Japan is registering solely double digit infections nationwide most days, and has logged round 18,360 deaths in the course of the pandemic.
Around 77 p.c of the nation’s inhabitants is now totally vaccinated, and booster photographs started being administered on Wednesday to individuals who obtained their second dose at the least eight months in the past.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV employees and is printed from a syndicated feed.)
- Uttarakhand Minister Sacked Amid BJP Infighting Ahead Of Polls
- Girl, 10, Pushed Into Well By Man Who Tried To Rape Her. She Survived: Cops
- Anushka Sharma’s Emotional Post For Virat Kohli After He Steps Down As India Test Captain
- 2.71 Lakh New Covid Cases In India, Positivity Down Marginally
- ICC U19 World Cup 2022, India U19 vs South Africa U19 Live Score Updates: South Africa U19 Two Down, Need 175 More Runs To WinICC U19 World Cup 2022, India U19 vs South Africa U19 Live Score Updates: South Africa U19 Two Down, Need 175 More Runs To Win