In his just-published memoir, Justice Ranjan Gogoi, former Chief Justice of India, defended his determination to affix the Rajya Sabha four months after retiring from the Supreme Court, a transfer that had are available in for widespread criticism.
He mentioned when he was provided the place, he accepted it with out hesitation, since he needed to boost points pertaining to the judiciary and the North East area, to which he belongs.
But Parliament information present Justice Gogoi has an attendance of lower than 10 per cent within the Rajya Sabha since he grew to become a member final yr.
In an interview to NDTV, he cited the pandemic as one of many causes for his poor attendance.
“You ignore the fact that for one or two sessions, I have submitted a letter to the house saying that because of Covid, on medical advice I am not attending the session”, he mentioned.
“I go to the Rajya Sabha whenever I feel like it … when I think there are matters of importance on which I should speak,” Justice Gogoi went on to say.
“I am a nominated member. I am not governed by any party whip. Whenever the bell rings for party members to come, that doesn’t bind me. I go there at my choice, I come out at my choice. I am an independent member of the house.”
The former Judge was nominated to the higher home by the President of India, on the recommendation of the Centre, successfully making him a authorities nominee.
The former Chief Justice defined that he nonetheless felt chary about attending parliament as a result of “social distancing norms were not observed” in addition to they need to.”
Before the winter session, you would enter the Rajya Sabha solely after an RT-PCR take a look at. Personally, I did not really feel very comfy going there. And the pandemic is on and even in the present day, I do not really feel very comfy going to the Rajya Sabha. Though social distancing norms have been enforced, they don’t seem to be being noticed. The sitting association… I do not discover very comfy,” he mentioned.
Justice Gogoi was nominated to the Rajya Sabha in March 2020.
- Uttarakhand Minister Sacked Amid BJP Infighting Ahead Of Polls
- Girl, 10, Pushed Into Well By Man Who Tried To Rape Her. She Survived: Cops
- Anushka Sharma’s Emotional Post For Virat Kohli After He Steps Down As India Test Captain
- 2.71 Lakh New Covid Cases In India, Positivity Down Marginally
- ICC U19 World Cup 2022, India U19 vs South Africa U19 Live Score Updates: South Africa U19 Two Down, Need 175 More Runs To WinICC U19 World Cup 2022, India U19 vs South Africa U19 Live Score Updates: South Africa U19 Two Down, Need 175 More Runs To Win