Garcetti stated he’s honoured to simply accept the nomination and can convey the identical vitality, dedication and love with which he served town to his new position
US president Joe Biden on Friday nominated Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to function the nation’s ambassador to India, based on the White House.
If confirmed by the Senate, the 50-year-old Garcetti would exchange Kenneth Juster, who served because the US Ambassador to India through the Trump administration. Earlier this week, Juster was appointed as a distinguished fellow on the Council on Foreign Relations.
Who is Eric Garcetti?
- According to a White House press launch, Garcetti has been the Mayor of Los Angeles since 2013, following 12 years as a member of the City Council, together with six as Council President.
- Vast administrative expertise: As Mayor, Garcetti oversees the busiest container port within the Western Hemisphere, the biggest municipal utility within the nation, and one of many busiest airports on this planet. He led town’s profitable bid to return the summer time Olympic Games to American soil for the primary time in three many years. He additionally chairs LA Metro, the US’s second-busiest transit company, which is constructing or extending 15 new transit traces, and shifting to an all-electric fleet.
- Climate Change advocacy: Garcetti co-founded Climate Mayors and led greater than 400 US mayors to undertake the Paris Climate settlement. He is the present Chair of C40 Cities a community of 97 of the world’s largest cities taking daring local weather motion and has led the organisation’s engagement and growth in India. He additionally led the C40’s world response to the COVID-19 pandemic via the sharing of greatest practices and assets.
- US Navy background: Garcetti served for 12 years as an Intelligence Officer within the US Navy Reserve Component. During his tenure, Garcetti served beneath the Commander, US Pacific Fleet and the Defence Intelligence Agency, retiring in 2017 as a Lieutenant.
- Academic background: A Rhodes Scholar, he studied at Queen’s College, Oxford and the London School of Economics and Political Science. Garcetti was chosen as an inaugural Asia 21 Fellow of the Asia Society, and taught at Occidental College’s Department of Diplomacy and World Affairs, in addition to on the University of Southern California’s School of International Relations.
- He has performed fieldwork on nationalism, ethnicity, and human rights in Southeast Asia and Northeast Africa. He is the founding Chair of the Latino Alliance of Mayors on the US Conference of Mayors, serves on the Board of National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials, and speaks fluent Spanish, the White House stated.
Part of Joe Biden’s internal circle
- According to information company The Associated Press, Garcetti thought-about a 2020 White House bid and later turned a part of Biden’s internal circle. The chance of the Los Angeles mayor becoming a member of Biden’s Cabinet final yr was broadly mentioned, however he took himself out of the operating, saying the raging coronavirus disaster made it not possible for him to step away.
- Garcetti was one of many co-chairs of Biden’s nationwide marketing campaign. He served on the committee that vetted his pool of vice presidential contenders and served as one in all a number of co-chairs for Biden’s inaugural committee. According to the AP report, Biden is rewarding his loyalist by nominating him because the ambassador.
According to The Washington Post, Garcetti has just lately been embroiled in controversy in Los Angeles. A Los Angeles police officer has filed a lawsuit in opposition to town, saying that Garcetti’s former prime aide Rick Jacobs harassed him and that Garcetti didn’t cease the habits. Jacobs has denied the allegations, and Garcetti has stated he didn’t witness any inappropriate habits. Also, Garcetti’s chief of employees, Ana Guerrero, was suspended in June after mocking labor icon Dolores Huerta.
According to the AP report, one in all Garcetti’s former deputy mayors was indicted on corruption fees in an ongoing federal investigation at City Hall.
‘Honoured to simply accept nomination’
In an announcement on Friday, Garcetti stated he’s honoured to simply accept the nomination and can convey the identical vitality, dedication and love with which he served town to his new position.
I like Los Angeles and can at all times be an Angeleno. I would like you to know that daily I’m your Mayor, I’ll proceed to guide this metropolis like it’s my first day on the job, with ardour, focus, and willpower.
— MayorOfLA (@MayorOfLA) July 9, 2021
“I love Los Angeles and will always be an Angeleno. I want you to know that every day I am your Mayor, I will continue to lead this city like it is my first day on the job, with passion, focus, and determination”, Garcetti stated within the assertion. “I have committed my life to service as an activist, as a teacher, as a naval officer, as a public servant, and if confirmed, next as an ambassador. Part of that commitment means that when your nation calls, you answer that call,” he stated.
“And should I be confirmed, I’ll bring this same energy, commitment, and love for this city to my new role and will forge partnerships and connections that will help Los Angeles,” Garcetti stated.
Biden additionally nominated Denise Campbell Bauer as his envoy to Monaco, Peter D Haas to Bangladesh, and Bernadette M Meehan as his prime diplomat to Chile.
With inputs from companies