From Gandhi to Lincoln to Camus, distinguished personalities over the ages have extolled on the virtues of democracy whereas making an attempt to outline it
Every yr, the member nations of the United Nations observe 15 September because the International Day of Democracy to mirror and take account of the situation of the democracies around the globe.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in his message on International Day of Democracy Tuesday mentioned, “As the world confronts COVID-19, democracy is crucial in ensuring the free flow of information, participation in decision-making and accountability for the response to the pandemic.”
Well earlier than #COVID19, frustration was rising & belief in public authorities was declining.
Governments should do extra to hearken to folks demanding change.
On this #DemocracyDay, let’s seize this second to construct a extra equal & inclusive world, with full respect for human rights. pic.twitter.com/slLcYefHep
— António Guterres (@antonioguterres) September 15, 2020
Several leaders internationally, together with the Indian vice chairman M Venkaiah Naidu, harassed on the necessity to strengthen the foundations of democracy.
India has been a democracy since its independence in 1947. As per the Merriam-Webster dictionary, democracy is a sort of presidency during which the “supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections”.
Over centuries, many revolutionary figures have outlined democracy, highlighting its essential facets and harassed on the necessity to adapt this type of authorities. Here are the highest ten quotes on democracy:
- “Democracy arises out of the notion that those who are equal in any respect are equal in all respects; because men are equally free, they claim to be absolutely equal” — Aristotle
- “To give the victory to the right, not bloody bullets, but peaceful ballots only, are necessary.” — Abraham Lincoln
- “I understand democracy as something that gives the weak the same chance as the strong.” – Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
- “One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.” — Plato
- “The only way to practice democracy, is to practice democracy.” — Hu Shih
- “The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.” – John F Kennedy
- “Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.” – Winston Churchill
- “Democracy is worth dying for, because it’s the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.” – Ronald Reagan
- “Someone struggled for your right to vote. Use it.” — Susan B. Anthony
- “Democracy is not the law of the majority but the protection of the minority.” -Albert Camus
Find newest and upcoming tech devices on-line on Tech2 Gadgets. Get expertise information, devices evaluations & rankings. Popular devices together with laptop computer, pill and cell specs, options, costs, comparability.