Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The World Health Organization on Saturday warned the coronavirus pandemic was more likely to be “lengthy” after its emergency committee met to judge the disaster six months after sounding the worldwide alarm.
- Last Updated: August 2, 2020, 10:32 AM IST
Coronavirus LIVE Updates: The World Health Organization on Saturday warned the coronavirus pandemic was more likely to be “lengthy” after its emergency committee met to judge the disaster six months after sounding the worldwide alarm. The committee “highlighted the anticipated lengthy duration of this COVID-19 pandemic”, the WHO stated in an announcement, and warned of the chance of “response fatigue” given the socio-economic pressures on international locations. The panel gathered Friday for the fourth time over the coronavirus disaster, half a 12 months on from its January 30 declaration of a public well being emergency of worldwide concern (PHEIC) — the WHO’s highest stage of alarm. “WHO continues to assess the global risk level of COVID-19 to be very high,” it stated following the assembly. The novel coronavirus has killed no less than 680,000 folks and contaminated no less than 17.6 million because the outbreak emerged in China final December, based on a tally from official sources compiled by AFP.
Here are the most recent updates on the pandemic:
‣ The emergency panel has urged the WHO to assist international locations in making ready for the rollout of confirmed therapeutics and vaccines. The committee additionally urged the company to speed up analysis into the remaining “critical unknowns” of the virus, such because the animal supply of the illness and potential animal reservoirs. It known as for improved understanding of the epidemiology and severity of COVID-19, together with its long-term well being results. And the committee wished extra gentle shed on the dynamics of the virus, similar to “modes of transmission, shedding, potential mutations; immunity and correlates of protection”.
‣ As the pandemic worsens, United States, which has been hit the toughest, counted 61,262 new coronavirus instances within the 24 hours main as much as Saturday. It was the fifth consecutive day with greater than 60,000 infections recorded. There have been additionally 1,051 deaths within the 24-hour interval. The US has now tallied greater than 4.6 million instances and 154,319 deaths, making it the hardest-hit nation on the planet. The new numbers got here as Florida braced for the arrival of Tropical Storm Isaias, which is predicted to strengthen again right into a hurricane because it approached the southeastern a part of the virus-ravaged state. Among US states, solely California, with virtually double Florida’s inhabitants of about 21 million folks, has registered extra coronavirus instances.
‣ South Africa has now registered greater than 500,000 instances of coronavirus, the well being ministry introduced Saturday, making it by far the hardest-hit nation in Africa. The nation has turn out to be the epicentre of the lethal pandemic on the continent, accounting for greater than half of Africa’s recognized infections. “Today South Africa has exceeded the half-a-million mark with a cumulative total of 503,290 confirmed COVID-19 cases recorded,” Heath Minister Zweli Mkhize stated in his every day replace. More than a 3rd of constructive instances are in Gauteng province — South Africa’s monetary hub. So far the variety of fatalities stands at 8,153, though native researchers have recorded a bounce of almost 60 % within the total variety of pure deaths in latest weeks, suggesting a far larger toll of coronavirus-related fatalities than formally recorded.
‣ Thirty-six crew members confined on a Norwegian cruise ship have examined constructive for the brand new coronavirus, officers stated Saturday. Arriving on the northern Norwegian port of Tromso from the archipelago of Svalbard, the crew of the MS Roald Amundsen was quarantined on board the ship on Friday after 4 workers members examined constructive for the virus and have been hospitalised. Of the 158 crew members on board, 36 are contaminated, Pal Jakobsen, media officer for town of Tromso, instructed AFP, confirming a improvement that raises fears of a resurgence of instances in Norway. The ship’s firm Hurtigruten had earlier indicated 33 constructive assessments. The contaminated crew have been all Filipino aside from three folks from France, Norway and Germany. The firm stated on Friday that 4 crew members “have been remoted a number of days in the past due to different illness signs, with no signs of COVID-19.
[videos] => Array
[query] => https://pubstack.nw18.com/pubsync/v1/api/videos/recommended?source=n18english&channels=5d95e6c378c2f2492e2148a2,5d95e6c278c2f2492e214884,5d96f74de3f5f312274ca307&categories=5d95e6d7340a9e4981b2e10a&query=coronavirus%2Ccovid-19%2Ckochi%2Cmaharashtra%2Cmumbai&publish_min=2020-07-30T07:55:35.000Z&publish_max=2020-08-02T07:55:35.000Z&sort_by=date-relevance&order_by=0&limit=2