The Delhi government-run Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital has recorded round 40 instances of “severe” coronavirus an infection amongst kids through the second wave and round 15 of them have been aged beneath one, a senior physician stated right now.
Dr Urmila Jhamb, the pinnacle of the hospital’s paediatrics division, stated knowledge collected through the second wave doesn’t counsel that kids have been contaminated in massive numbers, “but it doesn’t mean it won’t happen in the third wave”.
Around 400 kids affected by COVID-19 have been admitted to the power from March to December final yr, she stated.
“During the second wave of coronavirus, starting April 1, the hospital has recorded around 40 cases of severe infection among children so far. Of these, around 15 were aged below one,” she stated.
“We admitted only severe cases, those who required oxygen or ventilator, this time. That’s why the number seems low (compared to last year),” Dr Jhamb stated.
The hospital, the most important run by the Delhi authorities, has reported 75 instances of an infection amongst kids since January 1 this yr.
Dr Jhamb stated a month-old Covid-positive child died as a consequence of extreme dehydration earlier this month.
“We couldn’t do much. The child passed away two hours after he was brought to the hospital,” the physician stated.
Asked a few attainable third wave and its affect on kids, Dr Jhamb stated knowledge collected through the second wave doesn’t counsel that youngsters have been contaminated in massive numbers.
“It doesn’t mean it won’t happen in the third wave. It looks less likely, but we cannot predict,” she added.
For instance, numerous younger adults obtained contaminated through the second wave as in comparison with the primary time, she stated.
The unfold of coronavirus amongst kids throughout a attainable third wave will depend upon a number of components, together with vaccination and reopening of faculties, the pediatrician stated.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV workers and is printed from a syndicated feed.)
- Small Groups Don’t Rule The World: China Cautions G7
- Over 4.5 Lakh Without Ration Cards Received Food Grains: Delhi Government
- UEFA EURO 2020: Romelu Lukaku Dedicates His Goal Against Russia To Christian Eriksen. Watch
- Euro 2020 Match Between Denmark And Finland Suspended After Danish Midfielder Christian Eriksen Collapses On The FieldEuro 2020 Match Between Denmark And Finland Suspended After Danish Midfielder Christian Eriksen Collapses On The Field
- No One Muzzled Bengal Minister Amit Mitra’s Voice At GST Council Meet: BJP’s Anurag Thakur